The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Tuesday that it had opened an investigation into national coach Gregg Berhalter, following the latter’s revelations about violence committed against his partner, who has since become his wife, more than thirty years ago. Berhalter himself told the facts in a long message posted on Twitter, following blackmail by an “individual” seeking to “bring an end to [sa] collaboration with US Soccer,” he wrote.
The 49-year-old technician said he was 18 at the time, a college freshman and had been dating for four months when he hit his partner during a night out at a bar. “Rosalind and I had a heated argument which continued outside,” he said. It got physical and I kicked him in the legs. It was a shameful moment that I still regret today. There is no excuse for my actions that night. »
Notified, the American Federation will have to decide whether Berhalter can remain in office. “We appreciate that Gregg and Rosalind have come forward to speak openly about this incident,” the body said, adding that it “condemns all forms of violence and takes these allegations very seriously.”
Change for 2026?
US Soccer said it is also investigating “potential inappropriate behavior toward several members of our staff, from people outside of our federation,” leading to possible blackmail against Berhalter. “We take this type of behavior seriously,” the body added.
The case, which dates back more than 30 years, comes to light as US Soccer conducts a comprehensive technical review of the national team following an acclaimed run at the World Cup in Qatar. In 2026, the United States will host the next World Cup with Mexico and Canada. Team USA’s next matches are on the 25th-28th. January with home matches against Serbia and then Colombia.