The release of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix trailer would be a “coordinated campaign” to overshadow the Prince and Princess of Wales’ big visit to the United States, sources told Page Six.
The dramatic teaser for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s highly anticipated six-part docuseries ‘Harry & Meghan’ was released early Thursday as Prince William and Kate Middleton were in the middle of their big visit to Boston – for William’s pet cause, the Earthshot Awards Ceremony, which was called his “Super Bowl”.
It shows Markle, 41, crying and wiping away tears, as well as lots of never-before-seen footage of the couple, as she says: ‘When the stakes are so high, doesn’t it make more sense to hear our story from us?’
Markle’s friend, the journalist Omid Scobie, worked to clarify the point when he tweeted the trailer Thursday: “If tomorrow is Prince William’s Super Bowl, here’s your halftime show.”
A palace insider told Page Six that they believe the Sussexes are trying to “disrupt and clash” with William and Kate’s visit to the US.
Royal watcher Hugo Vickers, a friend of the royal family, told Page Six at the moment: “Surprise, surprise, how annoying Harry and Meghan are. But that sort of thing is inevitable. It seems a bit pretentious what they produced.
The clip also features a single shot of an icy-looking William, Kate, King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla at the Commonwealth Day service in March 2019, with Harry and Meghan relegated to the row behind them.
A well-placed royal insider told Page Six: “If the Sussexes are worried about looking diminished and less credible compared to the Prince and Princess of Wales’ first overseas tour of this new era, they have overplayed their hand with a series of PR announcements designed to clash with the Welsh visit this week.
Along with the trailer, Harry released a promotional video on Wednesday announcing the 2023 Invictus Games, which includes himself and Markle competing in a game of table tennis.
The campaign came down shortly before William and Kate made their long-awaited arrival in Boston.
However, other sources struggled to say that Harry and Markle had nothing to do with the timing of the docuseries trailer, adding that it was decided by Netflix executives. Page Six has learned that the Sussexes actually requested its release on Monday, November 28 ahead of the show’s December 8 launch date.
The royal insider pointed out that while the Sussexes claim to be a “privacy-obsessed couple, the 60-second trailer features intimate footage, moments and locations that have never been shared before – and with raw emotion.
“It’s hard not to draw a Kardashian comparison to the Hollywood vibe.”
Although Markle previously said the series would offer insight into her love affair with Harry, the trailer’s press release says “Harry & Megan” explores “the challenges that forced them to take a step back from their full-time roles. i With commentary from friends and family, most of whom have never spoken publicly about what they witnessed, and historians discussing the state of the British Commonwealth today and the royal family’s relationship with the press, the series does more than shed light on a couple’s love story. , it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.
All this has Palace insiders worried about exactly what will be said on the show – and whether it will sound like a declaration of war.
“At some point will it be enough? asked the palace source.
Asked what the ultimate impact on Harry and Markle’s relationship with the royal family might be, the insider said: “It’s heartbreaking, but I highly doubt the king’s son will be banned from attending his coronation.”